Hiring the Right International Tax Consultant
March 22, 2018 by Gordon Advisors
If you are now or are considering doing business outside the United States, it’s time to choose an international tax consultant. This process is in many ways similar to the process you use to hire anyone, whether as a vendor or an employee:
- Check personal and professional references.
- Check licensure status and complaint history.
- Interview the individual and ask questions about their qualifications, work history, and areas of expertise.
When searching for the perfect international tax consultant, however, you will also want to ensure that person or firm has experience in the business and tax areas about which you need assistance. Since this is often beyond the scope of knowledge for many business owners — and the reason you need the consultant in the first place — here are a few things you may want to ask about when researching international tax consultants:
- Do they handle all tax returns including expatriate returns, and reporting and withholding on payments to foreign entities?
- Can they assist with international tax planning and associated compliance responsibilities?
- Are they experienced in analysis of such things as anti-deferral regimes and repatriation of funds?
- Does their experience include tax treaty planning, and foreign tax credit planning and reporting?
- Have they been instrumental in successful international mergers and acquisitions?
- How much expertise do they have involving inbound foreign investment in the Unites States?
- Can they help you take advantage of the Interest-Charge Domestic International Sales Corporation (IC-DISC) export tax incentive for U.S. exporters?
- Are they experienced with Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Common Reporting Standard compliance and filing requirements?
- Does their expertise include experience with cross-border financing?
- Do they have experience in the country or countries in which you are planning to do business?
While these may seem complicated enough, it is also essential that anyone you hire to manage your international tax accounting be fully informed of your current and future business operations within and outside the United States. Also keep in mind the recent Tax Cuts and Jobs Act will impact international taxes and compliance so fluency in these laws are also essential.
Gordon Advisors is a highly experienced and respected tax consulting firm with decades of experience in international taxes and a forward-thinking mindset. Our experts have assisted clients with all aspects of international tax accountancy and can provide the professional services you need for your business. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or to find out more.